Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Old Man of the Mountain


So I was sitting there on the beach minding my own business and suddenly a face with barnacles for eyes appears out of the rocks. It's really not a very good face, but my artist eyes seem to find faces even when they aren't there. I guess it is similar to finding faces in paintings. Once you see the face smiling back at you, the painting is never the same. I always have to paint it out and start over.

Have you ever seen "The Old Man in the Mountain?" It's the New Hampshire state symbol. So I'm not the only one who sees faces in rocks. Well actually, the Old Man lost most of his face to gravity in 2003. I guess gravity catches up with everybody's face after awhile.


And the whole time while I was staring at the face staring back at me, I was being observed by a huge bald eagle sitting on a rock about 80 feet away. Talk about being startled. I mean me, not the bird. It was clear from his demeanor that he was so comfortable that he wasn't about to leave. So I did.


There was a beautiful sky hole directly above the mountains this morning. The only blue in an otherwise gray skyscape. It's easy for me not to notice that the mountain snow has disappeared for the summer. It's a bad sign that I'm not really paying attention to what I am looking at. This spring I will try to keep track of how long it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment