Sunday, May 20, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me

A Cold South Wind

It is very odd. My experience is that our cold winds usually come from the North. The past two mornings the cold wind has come from the South.

I was thinking yesterday how difficult it is for me to put into words what I sense when I am outdoors: the smell of the air, the angle of the sun, the nature of the wind, the rhythm of the waves, the brightness of the light. Every day when I walk I am able to sense a different combination of these variables. I'm not convinced I could ever articulate those experiences.

But this morning I came upon an article that successfully put into words the elusive feelings I am trying to describe. The article is on today's NY Times Opinion Page and titled, "The Scent of Lilacs" by Verlyn Klinkenborg. It is copyrighted so I can't post it here. But it reminds me that good writers can indeed conjure up the ineffable experience of nature using only squiggly lines on a piece of paper.

I will be out of commission for the next four or five days.

No comments:

Post a Comment